Land transfer tax rates
The tax rates calculated on the value of the consideration are:
- 0.5% up to and including $55,000
- 1% above $55,000 up to and including $250,000
- 1.5% above $250,000
- 2% above $400,000 where the land contains one or two single family residences.
The land transfer tax rate is the same for residents and non-residents of Canada.
Calculating the tax amount
Use the table below to calculate land transfer tax.
- Residential property: land that contains one or two single family residences
- VC: Value of the consideration for the conveyance or disposition
- LTT: Land transfer tax payable
Ontario land transfer tax rebate in Ontario
For first time home buyers, there is a maximum $2,000 tax rebate on the Ontario land transfer tax. Based on Ontario’s land transfer tax rates, this rebate will cover the full tax for homes worth up to $227,500. For homes worth more than $227,500, buyers will only receive the full $2,000 rebate.
First-time home buyer eligibility in Ontario
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must occupy the home within 9 months of purchase.
- You cannot have owned a home or interest in a home anywhere in the world.
- Your spouse cannot have owned a home while being your spouse (but may be a previous home owner).
- If the home is newly constructed, it must be eligible for home warranty.
- Home buyers must apply for the refund within 18 months of purchase.